Upgrades to v2022.1 and later releases are only supported from releases v2020.1 and later. This is due to migrations that have been removed to simplify maintenance.
Added hardware support¶
- DAP-2660 A1
- Archer A7 v5
- CPE510 v2
- CPE510 v3
- CPE710 v1
- EAP225-Outdoor v1
- WBS210 v2
- Aruba Networks
- InstantOn AP11D
- InstantOn AP17
- Mi Router 3G (v2)
- RE650 v1
- UniFi 6 Lite
- Mi Router 4A (Gigabit Edition)
- UniFi 6 LR
- Archer C20 v4
- Archer C20 v5
- RE200 v2
- RE305 v1
- Mi Router 4C
- Mi Router 4A (100M Edition)
- NanoPi R2S
- RED 15w rev. 1
- Extreme Networks
This list contains devices which do not have enough memory or flash to be operated with this Gluon release.
- DIR-615 (C1, D1, D2, D3, D4, H1)
- TL-MR13U (v1)
- TL-MR3020 (v1)
- TL-MR3040 (v1, v2)
- TL-MR3220 (v1, v2)
- TL-MR3420 (v1, v2)
- TL-WA701N/ND (v1, v2)
- TL-WA730RE (v1)
- TL-WA750RE (v1)
- TL-WA801N/ND (v1, v2, v3)
- TL-WA830RE (v1, v2)
- TL-WA850RE (v1)
- TL-WA860RE (v1)
- TL-WA901N/ND (v1, v2, v3, v4, v5)
- TL-WA7210N (v2)
- TL-WA7510N (v1)
- TL-WR703N (v1)
- TL-WR710N (v1, v2)
- TL-WR740N (v1, v3, v4, v5)
- TL-WR741N/ND (v1, v2, v4, v5)
- TL-WR743N/ND (v1, v2)
- TL-WR840N (v2)
- TL-WR841N/ND (v3, v5, v7, v8, v9, v10, v11, v12)
- TL-WR841N/ND (v1, v2)
- TL-WR843N/ND (v1)
- TL-WR940N (v1, v2, v3, v4, v5, v6)
- TL-WR941ND (v2, v3, v4, v5, v6)
- TL-WR1043N/ND (v1)
- AirGateway Pro
- Nanostation XM
- Nanostation Loco XM
- VoCore (8M, 16M)
Atheros target migration¶
All Atheros MIPS devices built with the
ar71xx-nand as well as
ar71xx-tiny were deprecated upstream and
are therefore not available with Gluon anymore.
Many devices previously built with
ar71xx-nand are now available with the
ath79-generic as well as
ath79-nand target respectively.
The following devices have not yet been integrated into Gluons ath79 targets.
- Carambola 2
- HiveAP 121
- 6408A v1
- WNDRMAC v2
- MyNet N600
- MyNet N750
Gluon got WireGuard support. This allows offloading encrypted connections into kernel space, increasing performance by forwarding packets without the need for context switches between user and kernel space.
In order to reuse existing (already verified) fastd-keypairs for WireGuard, a key derivation procedure is currently being developed. This should ease migration from fastd to WireGuard in case whitelisting VPN keys is desired.
fastd can now act as a connection broker for unencrypted L2TP-based
tunneling within Gluons mesh-vpn framework. This new
connection method allows for increased performance within existing
This release is based on the newest OpenWrt 22.03 release branch. It ships with Linux kernel 5.10 as well as wireless-backports 5.15.
Network changes (DSA / Upgrade-Behavior)¶
lantiq-xrx200 targets now use the upstream DSA
subsystem instead of OpenWrt swconfig for managing ethernet switches.
Gluon detects the existing user-intent and automatically applies it over to DSA syntax. See the section about network reconfiguration for more details.
The network and system-LED configurations are now re-generated after
each update / invocation of
The user-intent is preserved within Gluon’s implemented functionality (Wired-Mesh / Client access / WAN).
As an additional feature, Gluon now supports assigning roles to interfaces. This behavior is explained here.
VPN provider MTU¶
To account for multiple VPN methods available for a site, the MTU used
for the VPN tunnel connection is now moved to the specific VPN provider
configuration. For fastd this means that
mesh_vpn.mtu needs to be
brcm2708-bcm2710targets were renamed to
- The GL.iNet GL-AR750S was moved to the
- Gluon now ships the ath10k-ct firmware derivation for QCA9886 / QCA9888 / QCA9896 / QCA9898 / QCA9984 / QCA9994 / IPQ4018 / IPQ4028 / IPQ4019 / IPQ4029 radios (#2541)
- WolfSSL instead of OpenSSL is now used when built with WPA3 support
- The option to configure the wireless-channel independent from the
site-selected channel was moved from
gluon-infois a new command that provides information about the current node
GLUON_DEPRECATEDis now set to 0 by default
- To reboot a running gluon-node into setup-mode, Gluon now offers the
- Devices without WLAN do not show the private-wifi configuration anymore
- The Autoupdater now uses the site default branch in case it is configured to use a non-existent / invalid branch
A workaround for Android devices not waking up to their MLD subscriptions was removed, potentially breaking IPv6 connectivity for these devices after extended sleep periods. (#2672)
Upgrading EdgeRouter-X from versions before v2020.1.x may lead to a soft-bricked state due to bad blocks on the NAND flash which the NAND driver before this release does not handle well. (#1937)
The integration of the BATMAN_V routing algorithm is incomplete.
- Mesh neighbors don’t appear on the status page. (#1726) Many tools have the BATMAN_IV metric hardcoded, these need to be updated to account for the new throughput metric.
- Throughput values are not correctly acquired for different interface types. (#1728) This affects virtual interface types like bridges and VXLAN.
Default TX power on many Ubiquiti devices is too high, correct offsets are unknown (#94)
Reducing the TX power in the Advanced Settings is recommended.
In configurations without VXLAN, the MAC address of the WAN interface is modified even when Mesh-on-WAN is disabled (#496)
This may lead to issues in environments where a fixed MAC address is expected (like VMware when promiscuous mode is disallowed).