- All config mode packages must be fully translatable, with complete English and German texts.
- All new expert mode packages must be fully translatable. English texts are required.
- German translations are recommended. Other supported languages, especially French, are nice-to-have, but not required. If you don’t know a language well, rather leave the translation blank, so it is obvious that there is no proper translation yet.
- Existing expert mode packages should be made translatable as soon as possible.
- The “message IDs” (which are the arguments to the translate function) should be the English texts.
i18n support in Gluon¶
Internationalization support is available in all components (models, view and
controllers) of gluon-web-based packages. Strings are translated using the translate,
_translate and translatef functions (translate for static strings, translatef
for printf-like formatted string; _translate works the same as translate, but
will return nil instead of the original string when no translation is available)
. In views, the special tags
<%:...%> can be used to translate the contained string.
Example from the gluon-config-mode-geo-location package:
local share_location = s:option(Flag, "location", translate("Show node on the map"))
Adding translation templates to Gluon packages¶
The i18n support is based on the standard gettext system. For each translatable package,
a translation template with extension
.pot can be created using the i18n-scan.pl
script in the
cd package/gluon-web-mesh-vpn-fastd mkdir i18n cd i18n ../../../contrib/i18n-scan.pl ../files ../luasrc > gluon-web-mesh-vpn-fastd.pot
The same command can be run again to update the template.
In addition, some additions to the Makefile must be made. Instead of LEDE’s default package.mk,
the Gluon version (
../gluon.mk for core packages) must be used. The i18n files must be installed
and PKG_CONFIG_DEPENDS must be added:
... include ../gluon.mk PKG_CONFIG_DEPENDS += $(GLUON_I18N_CONFIG) ... define Build/Compile $(call GluonBuildI18N,gluon-web-mesh-vpn-fastd,i18n) endef define Package/gluon-web-mesh-vpn-fastd/install ... $(call GluonInstallI18N,gluon-web-mesh-vpn-fastd,$(1)) endef ...
A new translation file for a template can be added using the msginit command:
cd package/gluon-web-mesh-vpn-fastd/i18n msginit -l de
This will create the file de.po in which the translations can be added.
The translation file can be updated to a new template version using the msgmerge command:
msgmerge -U de.po gluon-web-mesh-vpn-fastd.pot
After the merge, the translation file should be checked for “fuzzy matched” entries where the original English texts have changed. All entries from the translation file should be translated in the .po file (or removed from it, so the original English texts are displayed instead).
Adding support for new languages¶
A list of all languages supported by gluon-web can be found in
New languages just need to be added to GLUON_SUPPORTED_LANGS, after a human-readable
language name has been defined in the same file.